town&countrybiker


Removing and Replacing Pedals
September 28, 2009, 8:01 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

I have not written at length about a ride last month, but I went on the FBC Full Moon Bike Ride on the One Way that I got earlier this year on an employer’s fitness allowance dime.

While I enjoy the bike, I have not put enough mile on it to feel that I have fully dialed it in. This was pretty obvious in how I have tolerated the stock pedals and toe clips.

I have done my share of toe clip riding, but definitely this has not taken part in this decade. When I started doing more roadbiking, I went for the clipless SPD pedal route with some Performance shoes and $20 pedals. Why I didn’t swap the pedals the day I got my One Way home, I will never know.

Alas, as I was cranking on the FBC ride, I snapped one of the bolts affixing the clip to my right pedal. Since I didn’t have the requisite extra nut and bolt combination, I took it off and finished my ride with a single clip-lame.

Over the weekend, I got out the lady’s road bike and set it up for a ride. I also decided to finally make the clipless upgrade to the single speed One Way. The left pedal gave me no grief whatsoever. The right pedal was a different animal. I tried everything with my 15mm pedal wrench to remove the little bugger, but I could not seem to get purchase on it. I was turning red and scaring my dog with my outbursts. Finally, I grabbed an old 15 mm wrench, that was just a bit longer from the toolbox. That did the trick!

Note to self, get a pipe, to use as a cheater bar!

The bike with its’ new set of repurposed clipless pedals is an absolute dream. The clipless thing really helps the single speed zeitgeist continue to work into my soul. I feel that I am getting much more of my pedal stroke to the ground. That is a great thing coupled with the simplicity of a single speed on an early spring day.



Fall is Here!
September 22, 2009, 3:48 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

PIC-0129Up here on the North Shore, we are having a pretty delightful early Fall. September has been a great month! It has been dry for about 3 weeks and then we received 3/4″ of rain 2 days ago, so everything is staying green, in fact, I just harvested some more tomatoes from the garden for lunch and dinner.

Running some errands a half hour ago, found me in the Fall milieu above, a medium fog between the foliage of the fitness path and the crunch leaves starting to fall. Maybe we should have a Fall Bike Party?



Raleigh 20 Brake Service
September 15, 2009, 3:57 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

PIC-0128Due to both the vintage technology as well as the fact that Raleigh 20s have chrome rims, they are known for having crappy stopping prowess.

The long reach brake calipers and the brake pads themselves have seen better days as noted by the above picture.

I have heard that the orange Kool Stop pads are the stuff to make a Raleigh stop much better. I don’t have any laying around, but I do have some used Weinman pads that are in better shape than the Shimanos currently on the 20.

First, I took some sandpaper and roughed up the business side of the Weinman pads. I then took a 10mm socket and removed the existing pads. I replaced the pads with the Weinmans. while paying attention to where the “new” pads would contact the rims.  When they seemed suitably lined up, I torqued the nuts down with the socket.

My brake cables are pretty squeaky, too, so I added a couple of drops of SAE30 oil at the lever and the caliper end of the cables.

After working the cables a bit, I took it on a quick spin. While the braking is still pretty poor, both the braking feel as well as the actual braking is much improved.



Raleigh 20 Update
September 7, 2009, 5:43 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

PIC-0120

I got my Raleigh 20 about a year ago. As I have blogged elsewhere, some genius decided to paint it with green latex paint and a very sloppy brush technique. The bike came with a very nice Pletcher mini rack that was also painted the hideous color. When I initially got the bike, I used some black shiny spray paint that I had around just to do a down and dirty quick improvement.

While it looked better, that is not really saying much. I was going through some stuff in my workshop and I came across some 3M stripping supplies that I had left over from a refinishing project from many years ago.

I figured that the 3M stripper should be able to take off both the black and the green paint.

As for prep, I removed the rack from the bike, and placed in a large corrogated box that I had in the garage. I then grabbed any old paint brush that was on its last legs. I put some of the paste like stripper into an old swiffer container and used that as a palette and brushed it onto the rack.

I let it set overnight and then used some old bluettes gloves and a 3M scrubber pad and removed almost all of the paint. There was a layer of flourescent red paint under the green!

I then brushed on another coat of the stripper and let it set overnight outside again. I again used the pad and removed 98% of the paint. I then used a hose and a sprayer attachment to remove the rest. After that, I cut a piece of old tee shirt and wiped off the rack. It turned out pretty spotless. I then reinstalled the rack on the bike.

PIC-0121

After I took the above pic, I decided to see if I could remove some of the remaining paint off the frame with the tee shirt. It seemed to work, but this will be a winter project to get all of the paint off.